Palm leaf kozhukattai is very famous during karthigai Dheepam. Every year my mom use to make this kozhukattai and we never miss that. This year I gave her a surprise by making this kozhukattai. She was sweetly surprised seeing my culinary skills ;)
1. Raw rice flour - 1kg
2. Jaggery - 1/2 kg
3. Fried & broken green moong dhal - 100 gms
4. Fried coconut gratings
5. Cardamom powder
6. Palm leaves /panai olai ( clean & cut the centre portion) - 30 nos
1. For half kg jaggery add 1/2 cup water and allow it to boil. Once the jaggery melts and starts boiling, remove it & strain.
2. Spread the rice flour in a wide vessel and then add the jaggery syrup, cardamom, broken green moong dhal, coconut gratings & mix it all well and make a dough.
3. Now open the palm leaves & stuff the dough in the lengthwise and cover it with another leaf. Tie it in the centre of the pack with thread or palm leaf string.
4. Then arrange all the stuffed palm leaves in the idli cooker & pressure cook it for 20 - 25 mts.
5. Ta da...kozhukattai is ready.....serve it hot :-)