This mint chutney comes handy most of time when i dont have time to make side dish for idlis & dosa in the morning. I make this chutney twice a month & store it in the fridge. This chutney can be stored for more than 15 days.
My mother-in-law gave this recipe to me. Now I'm giving this recipe here to all my friends out there :-)
Mint leaves- 4 bunches
Coriander leaves - 2 bunches
Curry leaves - 1 bunch
Coconut - half
Green chillis -3
Ginger - 50 gms
Tamarind - small ball
Urad dhal - 2 tbsp
1. Clean & wash the coriander, mint & curry leaves nicely, strain it and keep it aside.
2. Then soak the tamarind in a cup of warm water & keep it aside.
3. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom frying pan. First, fry urad dhal in the oil till it turns golden color, then remove the fried urad dhal.
4. Second, fry ginger, chillis and coconut in the same oil nicely. Then remove the fried ginger, coconut & chillis.
***Be careful with the green chillis, it will splatter & the smell will give cough.
5. Third, fry the mint, coriander & curry leaves in the oil. If there is only very less oil in the pan, then add 1 tbsp of oil and fry it. Fry until there is no water in the leaves.
6. Now add all the fried ingredients + salt and grind it in the mixer. Slowly add tamarind water to the mixture in between & grind it nicely.
7. Once it is well grinded, remove it from the mixer.
8. Heat 4 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom pan, add mustard. When mustard splatters, pour in the mint chutney from the mixer. Let it cook again for 15 mins. Then remove it from the fire and let it cool.
9. Store it in the fridge in the tight container.
***Wetness will spoil the chutney so use spoon while taking chutney from the container.