My MIL is from tirunelveli & this recipe was given my her. My mom is from nagerkoil & her style of making fish curry will be different. I likee....both but dear hubby likes her mom's style so now my fish curry is in tirunelveli style :-)
Here's the recipe.
Fish - 10 pieces (cleaned & washed)
Tomato - 4
Onion - 3 (2 for grinding, 1 for frying)- chopped
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Green chillis - 2
Tamarind - small-medium ball size
Garlic - 4/5 cloves
Coconut - half shell
Garam masala powder - 2 full tbsp
1. Clean & wash the fishes & keep it aside.
2. Soak small-meduim ball size tamarind in 4 cups of water & keep it aside.
3. Grinding Mixture:
1st grind coconut & cumin seeds nicely in the mixer
2nd add onion to the coconut
3rd add tomatoes to the coconut
Prepare the grinding mixture & keep it ready.
4. Heat 5/6 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom frying pan. Add mustard seeds. When mustard splatters add curry leaves & onion.
5. When onion turns transparent, add the " Grinding Mixture" & garlic cloves. Reduce the flame to sim & fry the mixture for 10 mins.
6. Then add 2 full tbsp of garam masala powder & mix nicely. Let it cook for 10 mins.
*** less than 2 full tbsp of garam masala might give little sweet taste to the curry.
7. Next add the tamarind water, add salt and mix well. Allow the curry mixture to boil thicken.
8. Once the curry thickens to required consistency & no raw smell then place the fishes slowly in the curry. Cover it with the lid.
9. After 10 mins, once again mix the fish curry slowly without breaking the fishes. Cover with the lid and in the sim flame let it be for another 10 mins.
10. Spicy fish curry is ready. Serve hot with white rice.