No sambar powder or garam masala Powder is required to make this chilli sambar. Only chillis....Red & Green. :-)
Here comes the recipe.
Moong dhal - 1 cup
Toor dhal - 1 cup
Tomato - 4 - chopped
Onion - 2 - chopped
Garlic - 6/7 cloves
Red chilli - 4
Turmeric powder - 1 pinch
Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
Tamarind - small ball size
1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water & extract juice out it & keep it aside.
2. In a pressure cooker pan add the moong dhal, toor dhal, onion, tomato,garlic cloves, green chillis, turmeric powder and asafoetida & pressure cook for 3 whistles.
3.Take out the cooked tomatoes, garlic & green chillis from the cooker pan and put it in a big bowl.
4. Add cumin seeds & salt to it and mash it nicely with masher(mathu) and put it back in the dhal mixture.
5. Then heat 3 tbsp of oil in a heavy bottom frying pan. Add mustard seeds, red chillis, curry leaves , onion and fry it.
6. When onion is fried, add tamarind juice and bring it to boil.
7. Then pour the tamarind juice mixture to the dhal. Mix well and allow the dhal to boil for 5 mins and garnish with coriander leaves.
8. This green chilli sambar goes well with idili, dosa & white rice.