I haven't tasted bitter gourd in my life time. This is the 1st time I have cooked & tasted bitter gourd. Believe me this fry tastes like onion pakoda & nothing like bitter gourd.
Here is the recipe for you.
Bitter gourd - 2
Tamarind - small ball size
Bengal gram flour- 4 tbsp
Rice flour - 3 tbsp
Red Chilli powder - 2 tbsp
Asafoetida - 1 pinch
1. Soak tamarind in 1 cup of warm water & extract juice out of it. Mix 1 tbsp of salt in the tamarind water and keep it aside.
2. Wash the bitter gourd & slice it as thin as possible. Then soak it in the tamarind water for half an hour.
**** Soaking in tamarind water reduces the bitterness in the bitter gourd.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl mix bengal gram flour, rice flour, red chilli powder, asafoetida & salt.
4. Take the bitter gourd slices from the tamarind water and add it to the flour mixture & mix it thoroughly.
5. Heat oil in a heavy bottom frying pan & deep fry the bitter gourd slices.
6. When the bitter gourd turns golden brown remove & it'll be crispy and tasty like pakoda.
7. Serve it with sambar rice, curd rice & lemon rice.